Thursday, March 03, 2005

The studio lurches into life!!!

Yay! I've finally completed arranging and plugging in the workstation. The PC is back up, but I haven't started truly hooking the desk up to it yet. I'll need some more cables to sync the clocks of the soundcard and the desk via digital connections. I have a feeling I might be able to get the groups coming through as well, but that remains to be seen...

also not tried the MMC Midi Machine Control stuff yet.

But, I did do a bit of work on Pete's vocal track from the Citrus Waltz sessions the four of us had a few months back: I think the mic must have been fading in and out (possibly thanks to my slightly cranky old spirit folio desk) so I had to run through pete's entire vocal performance boosting gain with a ramp in / ramp out filter to smooth in my work!

Probably took about 25 minutes of intense concentration for the 2:30 duration of the track, but well worth it. You can actually hear Pete all the way through now!

I even started trying to fatten out Smurf's guitar. Must install a load more VST effect plugins - in particular, I need an aural exciter from somewhere....

At least the studio is coming together. Unlike my MP3 portable HDD, which is about to die - panic offloading to the server in the house, etc - I've purchased a replacement which I'll be loading with the lot as soon as it's ready to go.

And in other news...
The Oxford Funk Carter Project now has a keyboard player!!! Jake says he's got the services of a good keyboard player from a local covers act, and knowing the guys Jake has picked out so far, he must be good. When I get back the whole thing's going to kick off, gigs and everything. I'm looking forward to it!

Current listening pleasure:
Would you believe I'm listening to Tay FM over the web? Talk about your blast from the past! I used to listen to them a lot driving to Perth Music College from St Andrews in the mornings... still got the best adverts I've heard, so much better than the terrible po-faced crap on 2-Ten FM here in Berkshire...

No comments: